LadyLushana: Death of Naguib Mahfouz

Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Death of Naguib Mahfouz

President Bush is saddened by the death of such an extraordinary artist. Really? Has he read any of his books? nayj

Naguib Mahfouz: 1911-2006

Mahfouz_naguib.jpg"Egyptian novelist and Nobel Prize winner Naguib Mahfouz passed away today in Cairo. Although the news is not a shock--he had been seriously ill for a few weeks--it is still difficult to accept. I find myself thinking about the first time I read him, when I was twelve or thirteen. Our high school didn't have a library, so our Arabic teachers organized a "borrowing club"--each of us would bring a book at the beginning of the trimester, and the books thus collected formed the class's pool, from which we could choose what to read every other week. That's how I came to Naguib Mahfouz's Miramar, and, later, to his other novels and stories. I will have more to say about him and his significance to Arabic letters very soon. Stay tuned."posted by Laila Lalami on moorishgirl at 08:31 AM filed under literary life

Other bloggers who pay tribute to Mahfouz:
Rebecca Jane
The Thinking Leb
Tara Bradford
Shbedr
rockslinga
Foulla

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

The image “http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/429/2309/1600/sidebarbadge1.jpg” cannot be displayed, because it contains errors.
  • Solidarity4twosisters
  • Cost of the War in Iraq
    (JavaScript Error)
    To see more details, click here.

    I blog for human rights I blog for human rights Palestine Blogs - The Gazette